January 15, 2015

Top Ten Sting

The former Police frontman is an acquired taste. And I find Sting's  brand of pop/rock/jazz/easy listening very appealing. His more elcletic projects, such as The Last Ship, not so much. Nonetheless, after being a listener for several years, it is about time I present my Top Ten list, Police hits not included.

Being playful or is the joke on us?

1- Nothing 'Bout Me (Epilogue) (Single Remix): This bookend song from 1993's Ten Summoner's Tales puts every part of what I enjoy about the musician into play: Clever lyrics, great vocal presence, top musicianship and a jazzy vibe that hides the man's personal life under something so fresh and appealing. The U.S. version of the album is less horn driven and makes use of male background vocalists. The rarer U.K. single is more horn driven with female background vocals, giving the whole song a funkier vibe. It's a bit tongue in cheek and self-effacing, but it's great fun and a kick to sing along with on an afternoon drive. 

Jazz/Rock/Rap perfection.

2- Bring on the Night/When the World is Running Down You Make the Best of What's Still Around: From the 1986 live album of the the same name. Whereas the Police version of the songs are grittier and clearly rock and roll, this far superior eleven plus minute medley swings and rocks at the same time. The jazz rock fusion created an uproar among the hardcore jazz community when saxophonist Branford Marsalis decided to tour with Sting, but the end result justifies the partnership. The song smokes. Even the obligatory audience participation fits perfectly with the apocalyptic party scene. Sting rocks the vocals, Branford's swinging saxophone sizzles (who knew the man could rap?), but the unbelievable keyboard work of the late Kenny Kirkland takes the whole thing to a new level. Love him or hate him, this performance shows the visionary Sting is and how his gut instincts tend to be right when it comes to musical artistry.

Julia Ormond inspires the softer side of Sting.

3- Moonlight:  Another cut from the "Nobody will tell me what to do" department, Sting goes all out as dashing crooner on this 1995 selection from the soundtrack to the movie Sabrina. With Julia Ormond as his muse, he does it so well that you can count me in as one who will buy his Great American Standards disc should he ever choose to release it. 

The gift of a friend.

4- Englishman in New York: I had heard this song but hadn't given it a second thought until a soon-to-be dear Scottish friend brought it to my attention via his CV (resume). Thus, a business interaction began my reintroduction to the singer. From Sting's 1987 album Nothing Like the Sun.


Another disc, another character.

5- Dead Man's Rope: Like much of his deeper work, Sting mixed the spiritual with the natural, the lusty with the demur, telling tales from a variety of character's perspectives. Dead Man's Rope is the title of a gem found on the 2003 Sacred Love CD. Once again, Sting examines the life of the main character:

"A million footsteps, this left foot drags behind my right
But I keep walking, from daybreak til the falling night
And as days turn into weeks and years And years turn into lifetimes
I just keep walking, like I've been walking for a thousand years
Walk away in emptiness, walk away in sorrow,
Walk away from yesterday, walk away tomorrow,
If you're walking to escape, to escape from your affliction
You'd be walking in a great circle, a circle of addiction
Did you ever wonder what you'd been carrying since the world was black?
You see yourself in a looking glass with a tombstone on your back
Walk away in emptiness, walk away in sorrow,
Walk away from yesterday, walk away tomorrow,
Walk away in anger, walk away in pain
Walk away from life itself, walk into the rain
All this wandering has led me to this place
Inside the well of my memory,
sweet rain of forgiveness I'm just hanging here in space
Now I'm suspended between my darkest fears and dearest hope
Yes I've been walking, now I'm hanging from a dead man's rope
With Hell below me, and Heaven in the sky above
I've been walking, I've been walking away from Jesus' love
Walk away in emptiness, walk away in sorrow,
Walk away from yesterday, walk away tomorrow,
Walk away in anger, walk away in pain
Walk away from life itself, walk into the rain
All this wandering has led me to this place
Inside the well of my memory, sweet rain of forgiveness
I'm just hanging here in space
The shadows fall around my bed
When the hand of an angel,
The hand of an angel is reaching down above my head
All this wandering has led me to this place
Inside the well of my memory, sweet rain of forgiveness
Now I'm walking in his grace I'm walking in his footsteps
Walking in his footsteps, Walking in his footsteps
All the days of my life I will walk with you
All the days of my life I will talk with you
All the days of my life I will share with you
All the days of my life I will bear with you
Walk away from emptiness, walk away from sorrow,
Walk away from yesterday, walk away tomorrow,
Walk away from anger, walk away from pain
Walk away from anguish, walk into the rain"

Sting's character discovers there in freedom and hope found in relationship with Jesus Christ. In exchange for a life of brokenness, hopelessness, and disappointment, He gives peace and victory over death. Just as Christ himself experienced in his death and resurrection.

I have to say, I think Sting missed a great opportunity for a play on words. He should have included this verse from the Apostle Paul:
"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" (I Corinthians 15:55)


A man in love.

6- Fields of Gold: Unashamedly romantic. Instant classic. Radio staple. Signature song. 1993 was a another banner year for Sting as a solo artist. I can't hear this song without thinking of my wife.


Late night jazz radio perfected.

7- She Walks This Earth (Soberana Rosa):  Sometimes when an artist appears on a tribute or compilation of various artists, the end result can be a piece of throwaway music. Not so here. Sting's tribute to and cover of Brazilian artist Ivan Lins is smart, sexy, and altogether intoxicating. Worth hunting down if you don't own it.


Great video performance.

8- Brand New Day:  Perhaps a bit pedestrian for some fans, but I find this song of romantic plea for a new start encouraging in a world which continues to kick us in the teeth from time to time. It's a reminder to me that regardless of my own shortcomings (and there are many!) that God loves me and gives me a fresh day to start all over.

As the key and title song of his last album from the 90's, Sting decided to pair with a musical legend: Stevie Wonder. The combo works wonderfully, and Stevie's harmonica brings just the right amount of grit and humanity to it all. The music video places Sting as messiah- a very arrogant move- and like the album cover, is not a very good visual presentation of the music found on the disc which earned him two Grammy awards. 


Live and with an orchestra.

9- Every Little Thing She Does is Magic: OK, I said Police numbers were not included, but his solo version of the song is part of his Symphonicities disc of 2010. Often accused of being easy listening, Sting goes for it in that exact genre- with a twist. Even when being accompanied by an orchestra, there's no denying this old Police song is full of... magic. My wife and I were blessed with tickets to his Red Rocks concert for this tour. Incredible show (review here) and one of the few artists she would go see again.


Urban cowboy.

10- This Cowboy Song: An extra song added to his first solo hits collection. You'd think this would be another cut to toss aside, but Cowboy is a fun song with an even more enjoyable video that parodies but honors movies from the Western genre. On his Live in Berlin (Symphonicities) video, Sting and band create a hoedown worthy of the Old West. Urban Cowboy indeed!

So, are you a fan? If so, what are your favorites?

No comments: